179 – Dylan Wissing: A Living Library of Drum Sounds at Triple Colossal Studios
Dylan Wissing has been quietly amassing a resume of A-list recording credits including Jay-Z, Eminem, Kanye West, Alicia Keys, and John Legend. He grew up in Bloomington, IN, studied with Kenny Aronoff and Shawn Pelton, and toured for 13 years with the band Johnny Socko. When the band had run its course, Dylan ended up in the New York area in 2003 and began touring and recording with a huge variety of artists. He had worked with producer Ken Lewis on Johnny Socko’s last record, and Lewis began hiring him for new projects. This relationship has been central to Dylan’s career and continues to this day. In 2008, Dylan opened Triple Colossal Studios in Hoboken, NJ where he has been a go-to for just about any drum groove or sound anyone can think of.
In this podcast, Dylan talks about
- The early influence of Shawn Pelton and Kenny Aronoff
- The 13 years he spent on the road with Johnny Socko
- Making the transition from touring to doing more session work
- How studio carpentry and selling drums on Ebay put him in the drum and music world, and how he developed skills that he uses as a session drummer and studio owner
- Listening to drums with your ears, not your eyes
- The three pillars of his business: An arsenal of drums, a huge set of technological skills, and a lifetime of listening to and absorbing music
- A few of the essential drum breaks in the hip hop lexicon
- The importance of knowing how to achieve a wide variety of snare sounds
- Trends in tone
- “Gear with a vibe”
- His marketing strategy – delegating to experts when it comes to graphic design, mixing, etc.
Dylan Wissing endorses GMS Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Promark Sticks, Aquarian Drumheads, and TnR Products.