180 – Billy Thomas: Drumming for Vince Gill, The Time Jumpers, Singing and Drumming
Billy Thomas moved to Nashville from Los Angeles in 1987 and immediately began working with award winning singer, songwriter and instrumentalist Vince Gill. He has been a member of Gill’s touring band ever since and regularly sings and plays on Gill’s records. Billy is also a member of the multi Grammy nominated western swing band, The Time Jumpers.
Billy has recorded and/or toured with Patty Loveless, Emmylou Harris, Steve Wariner, Marty Stuart, Ricky Nelson, Don Williams, Earl Scruggs and Dolly Parton. During the early ‘90s, Thomas was a founding member of the MCA Records trio, McBride & The Ride. The band’s Top 10 singles included “Sacred Ground,” “Going Out Of My Mind,” “Just One Night” and “Love On The Loose, Heart On The Run.” Thomas’ songs have been recorded by McBride & The Ride, Gill, Dottie West, Little River Band, Ricochet, the Oak Ridge Boys and Andy Griggs, among others.
In this episode, Billy talks about:
- The current changes Nashville is experiencing
- The important role of the drummer
- Using technique as a vehicle for achieving a great feel
- Continuing to find joy in music after many years and experiences
- The importance of good health
- The willingness to be part of a team
- Touring and recording with Vince Gill for the better part of thirty years
- The Time Jumpers
- Singing and drumming
Billy endorses: Ludwig Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Pro-Mark Sticks, Evans Drumheads