189 – Cody Rahn & Ben Smith: “Sounds Like A Drum” – Talking Tone
Cody Rahn and Ben O’Brien Smith are the creators of Sounds Like A Drum, “an ongoing video series for drummers, audio engineers, and anyone who is responsible for achieving great drum sounds at the source. Sounds Like a Drum offers in-depth tutorials on tuning in ways most have never learned, tips and tricks for a memorable sound, and hacks that you might never have thought of.” Cody’s background as a working drummer in New York and Ben’s background in product development give them a unique and insightful approach to achieving great drum tone, whether that means finding creative new sounds or just troubleshooting the old ones.
In this podcast, Ben and Cody talk about:
- The philosophy behind the aesthetic and presentation of Sounds Like a Drum
- SLAD’s origin story
- How to associate certain drum tones with certain genres
- Going beyond the “what” and “how” of tone, and getting into the “why”
- Developing your ear and taste to inform your tone choices, rather than buying gear
- Making confidence part of you sound
- Balancing tone with feel
- Cody’s approaches for mic’d vs. un-mic’d situations
- How they handle comments and feedback on their channel
- Their advice for anyone who wants to start a social media or digital enterprise
Cody Rahn endorses Promark sticks and Evans heads.