192 – Bart Robley: Drumming for The Sam Morrison Band, The Responsibility of Drumming Educators, Playing for the Song
Bart Robley is a perfect example of a full time musician that stays busy by diversifying his work load through teaching, performing live, recording as well as publishing educational material.
Through his many projects, Bart learned the nuances of rock, country, jazz, fusion, hard rock and heavy metal. As his thirst for musical adventures grew, so did his need for larger projects. So he bid goodbye to his small town life in Colorado and in 1989, relocated to Southern California. Bart networked the L.A. music scene, replete with a host of metal, punk and industrial bands. Bart returned to studio work and live performances as a ‘hired gun’ in many diverse projects from country to hard rock. It was one of these situations that led to Bart being hired full time by Southern Rock mainstays The Sam Morrison Band.
To date the Sam Morrison Band has recorded 8 CD’s with legendary producer Michael Vail Blum whose credits include work with Madonna and Pink Floyd. The band has sold over 700,000 downloads on I-Tunes and have been streamed over 10 million times on Spotify.
Bart has been involved in music education, teaching private and semi-private drum lessons, as well as hosting master classes and drum clinics for 20 years. Bart’s extensive knowledge of drumming and rhythm has come together in three popular instructional books, as well as three instructional DVDs. Bart’s efforts were recognized in 2009, when he won a Telly Award for his instructional DVD, “The School Of Hard Rocks”.
In this episode, Bart talks about:
- Bart’s teaching practice
- The importance of teaching students to read music
- How to stay organized as a teacher
- How to start and maintain a successful teaching practice
- “What you’re doing not How you’re doing”
- Teaching business side of the music business to students
- His full time band The Sam Morrison Band
- Working with legendary producer Michael Vail Blum
- Being the best you you can be
- Playing for the song
- Bart’s instructional books and DVD’s
- The responsibility of drumming educators
- 3 instructional books, & 3 instructional DVDs