208 – Jordan Manley: Touring with Mattiel, Making the Jump to Atlanta, Setting Big Goals, Being a “Band Guy”
Jordan Manley made the move to Atlanta in 2014, after growing up and spending the early years of his career in the small town of Columbus, GA. Since moving, he has been a member of several Atlanta-based groups including Black Linen, Lightning Orchestra, and Mattiel, with who he has been touring the U.S. and Europe, opening for the likes of Jack White and St. Paul & The Broken Bones.
In this podcast, Jordan talks about:
- What Mattiel and her band have learned from each other
- The early years of his career in Columbus
- Breaking into the Atlanta scene
- Struggling with his musical identity
- The West African influence in his childhood church
- How playing in hip-hop bands made him more attuned to accompanying vocalists
- Focusing on the role of the drummer in a given situation, not just the content of the drumming
- A different approach to teaching at Meta Music
- His goal-setting philosophy
This episode is sponsored by Shure Microphones.
Enter the Shure Drum Mastery Contest by April 15th!