217 – Dame Drummer: Touring with Fantastic Negrito, Coming up in Cleveland, Opportunity & Creativity in Oakland
Dame Drummer lives in Oakland, tours with Fantastic Negrito, and is about to release his latest original project, a double-length album called Loveolution. Dame grew up in Cleveland where he cut his teeth on the local scene playing funk, R&B, and whatever else came along. He moved to Oakland in 2012 at the urging of some friends who already lived there. His Rust Belt work ethic quickly and creative spirit put him in high demand Oakland and he’s been busy ever since, both as a collaborator and a leader.
In this episode, Dame talks about:
- The drum chair with Fantastic Negrito, and sharing it with other drummers
- Combining drumming, singing, and rapping
- How drums and rap influence each other
- Why it’s important to be “more than a drummer”
- The underdog identity of his hometown of Cleveland, and how it gave him a strong work ethic
- His move to Oakland and working his way onto the scene there
- The history and legacy of Oakland Funk, Hip-Hop, and R&B
- Viewing each gig as a point on the arc of your career, rather than a make-or-break single event
- Getting creative and proactive about building and targeting an audience
Dame Drummer endorses Regal Tip sticks.