233 – Brendan Buckley: 20 Years with Shakira, Touring with International Artists, Preparing with No Expectations
Brendan Buckley is best known for touring and recording with Shakira. He grew up in New Jersey and attended the University of Miami. In 2004, Buckley moved out west to Los Angeles and has since amassed an impressive pop resume that includes Miley Cyrus, Tegan & Sara, Leehom Wang, Perry Farrell and many, MANY others.
In this episode, Brendan talks about:
- Why LA is a good home base for him and why he moved there in the first place
- Extroverts vs. introverts in the music world
- Why image is important, but not in the way we think
- Spending his college years exploring the many directions the Miami music scene had to offer
- Approaching his career path with openness to possibility rather than specific goals
- His long tenure with Shakira, and the schedule management and negotiating skills required to fill the gaps
- What he covered in his recent clinic at Musicians Institute in LA
- Good enough vs. better than it has to be
Brendan Buckley endorses DW drums, Vic Firth drumsticks, Remo drumheads, Sabian cymbals, and Roland electronics.