241 – Mike Levesque: “Playing Drums Like a Songwriter,” Blues and More in Boston, “Buckabeat” Loops
Mike Levesque has spent his career in the Boston area. His touring and recording experience includes David Bowie, Seven Mary Three, Natalie Imbruglia, Susan Tedeschi, and many more. He plays on approximately one original record per month and fills out the rest of his schedule with 150-200 live dates per year, still saying yes to almost everything and preferring to be out playing than sitting at home on a given night. He is also currently in the process of launching Buckabeat, using the huge archive of material he’s recorded over the years with producer Sean McLaughlin, and a new model for selling samples and loops.
In this episode, Mike talks about:
- Still saying yes to almost every gig
- The producers and studios in Boston he’s forged relationships with over the years
- “Playing drums like a songwriter”
- His recent fascination with Reggae drumming
- His thoughts on the great shuffle debate
- Building a new business and a new business model with “Buck-a-Beat”
- Why he prefers doing sessions in person with artists and rather than remotely
Mike endorses Vater Drumsticks.