249 – Tom Knight: Touring and Recording with TLC, A Second Career in Voice Overs
Tom Knight came to prominence in the 90’s as a first call of producer Dallas Austin. Through Austin, Tom toured and recorded with TLC, Adam Nitti, Michael McDonald and many others. After more than a decade of solid road work, Tom took a step back from touring and playing live, and began a somewhat accidental second career in voice-overs. As a voice actor, Tom’s credits include Disney, BMW, and an Emmy-Award winning performance for Crown Royal. Tom is still active as a session drummer, mostly in his home studio in Atlanta.
In this episode, Tom talks about:
- The influence and friendship of Dave Weckl
- An intensive season of shedding with Jeff Sipe
- Being able to hear and feel music in different ways as you get older
- Teaching at the Atlanta Institute of Music & Media
- The recording process with producer Dallas Austin
- Getting into the voice-over profession
Tom endorses Yamaha drums, Zildjian cymbals, and Vic Firth sticks.