288 – Adam Alesi: L.A. Gigs of All Shapes and Sizes, A Few Key Relationships, Taking Big Studio Experience into the Home Studio
Drummer Adam Alesi is in high demand for session and live work in Los Angeles and around the greater Southern California region. As a student of drum legend Gregg Bissonette (and later as Gregg’s drum tech), Adam learned how to connect with music and musicians on a personal and emotional level. Like his mentor, he has made taste and versatility his hallmarks.
One of Adam’s longest musical relationships has been with veteran pianist/composer/producer Geoff Stradling. Adam has been Geoff’s first call for over a decade, and the two have worked on countless recording projects together including Mad Men, the Golden Globe Awards, the SAG Awards, and Geoff’s original big band, The Stradband. Another decade-plus tenure Adam maintains is with the all-pro band that supports Burbank High School’s show choir, In Sync. The group is nationally competitive, perennially award-winning, and served as the model for the hit Fox series Glee.
Adam’s other credits for film and TV include the IMAX original film Pandaswith composer Mark Mothersbaugh, and a national Samsung ad campaign featuring Rihanna. He has performed regularly with numerous big band legends including Grammy Award winner Gordon Goodwin and Tonight Show composer/arranger Mike Barone. Over his 15-year career, Adam has also performed with legendary artists across many genres including Aretha Franklin, Richard Carpenter, and David Benoit.
In this episode, Adam talks about:
- Getting a jump on the home studio game before COVID
- File management skills and other ways he’s improved his workflow
- Becoming the go-to drummer for Hollywood composers Geoff Stradling and Mike Barone
- What he’s learned through his long relationship with Gregg Bissonette
- His experience playing in the Pixarmonic Orchestra at Disneyland California Adventure
- Drumming and contracting the band for Burbank High School’s nationally competitive show choir
Adam endorses Dixon drums, Sabian cymbals, Aquarian drumheads, Vanguard Audio Labs microphones, and Presonus Audio Electronics
This episode is sponsored by Beier Drums.