307 – Josh Harmon: Drums & Comedy, TikTok for Drummers, Communicating Who You Are Through the Drums
Before Covid, Josh was between three worlds – drumming (mostly gigging with his brother in a party band), comedy & improv (performing around New York and working as an intern at NBC), and French Literature (his college major). During Covid, he started making videos in which he played along with different comedians, as a way of combining two of his loves to study and get better at both. He posted them on Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube, where they quickly went viral, garnering him hundreds of thousands of followers and millions of views, culminating in an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
In this episode, Josh talks about:
- How he goes about creating his transcriptions and videos
- The importance of delivery, in comedy and music
- Always thinking of ways drumming can go beyond the drums
- Drum legends whose playing had an inherent comedic side
- Thinking of the drumset as an emotional communication device
- How social media’s algorithms lead to a homogenization of content
- Monetizing and further developing his concept
This episode is sponsored by Shure Microphones. Check out the new Drummer Bundle Track Pack now on sale!