225 – Johnny Radelat: Playing with Gary Clark Jr., Playing a TV Gig for a Week, The Austin Scene
Johnny Radelat has been touring and recording with Gary Clark Jr. since 2012. Born to Cuban immigrants in Jersey City N.J., Johnny came of age in Miami, FL, and currently resides in Austin TX. Prior to teaming up with Gary Clark Jr, he honed the skills and subtleties of playing/touring with reggae, R&B, soul, and Funk bands, while still embracing a bombastic/caveman-ish approach to drumming.
In this episode, Johnny talks about
- Guesting for a week with the 8G Band on Late Night with Seth Meyers
- What attracted him to Austin after getting his start in Florida
- How Austin supports musicians in tangible ways (healthcare, etc.)
- The first gigs he played in Austin, and how they challenged him
- How moving to Austin and playing with Gary changed his approach
- Gary’s esoteric way of expressing what he needs from Johnny
- How “dancing” behind the drums can reinforce your feel
Johnny endorses Gretsch drums, Sabian cymbals, Promark sticks, and Evans drumheads.