260: – Kip Allen: Cultivating Your Own Voice & Sound, Working with Producer Jay Joyce, Building a Strong Instagram Following, Drumming for Devin Dawson
Kip is the touring and recording drummer for Nashville artist Devin Dawson. Drumming for Devin allowed Kip the opportunity to work in the studio with award winning producer Jay Joyce.
Kip is known throughout the drumming community for his well produced and insightful video clips on Instagram that has garnered a sizable following.
Originally from Dallas, Texas, Kip Allen moved to Nashville, Tennessee to attend Belmont University to study commercial percussion. During his time in and around his time at Belmont, Kip traveled, and playing drums, with Devin Dawson, Paul Childers and the Black Tie Affair, Forest Fire Gospel Choir, and Baylor Wilson just to name a few.
In this episode, Kip talks about:
- Setting aside practice time to work on recording techniques
- The importance of finding space in your playing
- Cultivating your own voice and sound
- Working with producer Jay Joyce in the studio
- Kip’s effective use of Instagram
- The use of samples in recordings
Kip endorses: Dw Drums, Pedals and Hardware,
Drumtacs & Madbox Cajons