271 – Fabio De Oliveira: Playing with George Ezra, Combining Pop Drumset and Brazilian Percussion, Looking for Balance After Covid
Raised in London to Brazilian parents, and described as having the perfect mix of Brazilian passion and British sensibility, Fabio’s natural feel and broad understanding of various musical styes makes him one of London’s most versatile and in demand drummer/percussionists.
In 2011 Fabio graduated with a First Class Honors Degree in Music Performance and Production from the London Centre Of Contemporary Music.
In 2014 Fabio landed the job as stickman for number one selling artist George Ezra, giving him the opportunity to tour extensivley performing on some of the world’s biggest stages including Glastonbury Pyramid Stage, Madison Square Gardens, Montreux Jazz Festival, Coachella Music Festival and The Brits. Fabio has also backed George Ezra on TV shows such as Saturday Night Live, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel, Conan O’Brien, The Late Show with James Corden, The Graham Norton Show, Alan Carr Chatty Man and Top Of The Pops.
In this episode, Fabio talks about
- What he’s been working on during lockdown
- Translating non-drumset sounds to the drumset
- His Brazilian heritage, and growing up as part of London’s Brazilian community
- The positive and constructive environment of the London Centre of Contemporary Music
- How making friends and getting gigs are one and the same
- The importance of a supportive partner
- Ways he’s going to adjust his professional priorities and life balance moving forward
Fabio endorses Istanbul Agop Cymbals, Vic Firth, Remo, Protection Racket, Porter & Davies, and Roland.