279 – Eric Darken: Percussionist, Composer, Performing with Jimmy Buffett, From Congas to the Garden Weasel
For over 30 years Eric Darken has worked as a studio and touring percussionist for some of the biggest bands and artists in the world. Just a few of his recording credits includes Taylor Swift, BonJovi, Jewel, James Bay, Maren Morris, Bob Seger, Carrie Underwood, The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and new artists Carly Pearce and Moon Taxi.
Eric has traveled around the world and throughout the United States performing with artists such as Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Faith Hill, Take 6 and Bob Seger. He currently tours with Jimmy Buffett and The Coral Reefer Band and frequently performs live with Mac McAnally.
An accomplished composer and producer, Eric has written original underscores for TV and film. These shows include Dateline NBC, 20/20, Fox Sports, the Discovery Channel, The NFL Network, National Geographic and the film, The Fantastic Four – Rise of the Silver Surfer. Other projects include A Drummer Boy’s Christmas and Sunday Drive.
In this episode, Eric talks about:
- Taking advantage of the downtime to grow, learn, write and record from home
- “Owning the instrument” learning all the tones and possibilities an instrument can deliver
- Working with Jimmy Buffett
- Creating percussion parts that are felt but not always heard
- From household items to gardening tools to create percussion sounds
- Building a sample library
Eric endorses Meinl Percussion, Paiste Cymbals, Mike Balter Mallets, The Trashkat and Shure Microphones