314 – Brody Simpson: A Distinct Set of Sounds, Staying Focused on His Thing, “I’ve Never Gone Looking for Work”
Brody Simpson lives and works in Perth, Australia, where he is the co-owner of Underground Sounds, a full service tracking and production house. As a drummer, engineer, and producer, he is becoming known for a unique set of sounds influenced by Boom Bap, Drum & Bass, 808s, and other electronic genres.
In this episode, Brody talks about
- The alchemy of playing, tuning, mic selection/placement, and mix he uses to get his unique sounds
- A few of his favorite plugins
- The non-musical responsibilities of running a brick-and-mortar business
- Not getting caught up in the hustle, staying patient and focusing on the music and sounds he wants to make
- The extensive process of shaping the acoustics in his studio’s rooms.
- His social media approach – “do our thing, not just something,” both when it comes to content and followers
- Why he generally avoids extensive touring
Brody endorses A&F drums and Meinl cymbals
This episode is sponsored by Sonitus.